3.01.2007

it just keeps getting better

i have managed to sprain, at the very least, my ankle. and, true to form, in the most ridiculous/inane way possible.

last night, after spending some time doing a few work tasks on the laptop, i stood up and took a step to let beans out (lest he pee or poop and the floor and really make me angry). mind you, i am home solo until friday night when jeremy gets back; evie is visiting papa and grandma wittrock.

i don't know how exactly i managed to do this, but as i attempted to take a step with my right foot, i caught my big toe in the carpet. this had something to do with the entire ankle area and top of foot being numb. now, imagine an insanely violent toe-point combined with a roll-over the ankle joint, and you get the idea. ah, don't forget the definite (and loud) snap-crackle-pop sound.

this ends with me writhing and swearing on the floor, tossing the dog off me (who for some reason wants to sit on me and lick my face/climb on my ankle) and being internally furious at myself, because of course only i would hurt myself in such a moronic way, the night before i needed to run around campus for eight hours.

needless to say, i couldn't stand the throbbing in the shower this morning, so i am home. me and beans, who keeps trying to sit in my lap. bleck.

i'm slightly troubled by the fact that there isn't much swelling or bruising. if i have broken the damn thing, i am REALLY going to be angry.

throb throb throb.

1 comment:

Tim said...

Keys to an ankle sprain:

1) Wear a nice stiff shoe with good ankle support and keep on all day. Walk around on it a little.

2) Ice, ace bandage, and elevation only when you lay down.

3) Check the back of your heel for a little pink bruise. You might have rolled your tendon.

4) Otherwise, chances are you've just turned it and lucked out not to break too many blood vessels. Again, walk around on it for a week and you'll be fine.

5) Ignore all of the above if you experience excruciating pain.