8.19.2007

strateg-ery

i have been saying, quite frequently as of late, that the aspect of baseball which is unique only to baseball is the complex duel at the heart of the game: pitcher vs. catcher. the mystery, for me at least, is in decoding it--or at least having some surface-type knowledge of it.

at last, as i haven't figured it out on my own (and haven't pulled my resume together to apply for the open spot as the detroit tigers bench coach) the new york times has run an article (complete with graphics and audio commentary!) on the art of "setting up" a hitter.

i have to admit, like most things i struggle to "get" at first glance, the methodical order and location of pitches is much simpler than i had imagined. except for the obvious, of course--ensuring the pitch you throw does what it is supposed to do.

1 comment:

Gavin said...

You are, of course, referring to the complex duel between pitcher and batter, yes? (Not between pitcher and catcher.) As an outfielder (because I'm short and left-handed) who always wanted to play infield (first base, although if I'd been right-handed, I think I could have been decent at third), I've always admired and been jealous of the amazing and complex communication between pitchers and catchers. Who else is in on every play in the game?

The NYT's article is, indeed, very good. My favorite part is the reference to the 90s strike zone vs. today's. I remember, as a young ballplayer, reading a definition of the strike zone that seeme dto have nothing to do with the games I watched on TV. It's nice to see that put into an infographic by the Times