3.11.2008

lesson learned:

just because he's a democrat doesn't mean he's a good person.

my favorite part: in the statement below he casts his implication in a prostitution ring (which is a federal offense, as he had his lady of choice come from NYC to DC)as a moral, not legal, infraction.

news to you, eliot: you can't pull the "it's a moral, not legal or government matter" unless you really did not break the law, a la bill clinton.

Spitzer Said to Be Weighing Resignation - New York Times
“I have acted in a way that violates my obligations to my family and violates my, or any, sense of right and wrong,” the governor said. “I apologize first and most importantly to my family. I apologize to the public to whom I promised better.”

“I have disappointed and failed to live up to the standard I expected of myself. I must now dedicate some time to regain the trust of my family.”


***

i find it hilarious how dems and progressives were just biting at the bit to vote for this guy. little more research, eh? even his political career has been marked with scandal. geez.

i think this makes kwame's issues seem smaller.

5 comments:

Tim said...

I think it makes Kwame's issues seem different, not necessarily smaller. The thing about Kwame, for me at least, isn't the Clintonesque lying-under-oath charge or the affair as such, it's that he used city money to fight and settle lawsuits where the affair was an issue in order to keep it quiet.

So on a scale of 1-10, we have

2: Clinton: sex with no laws broken
5: Spitzer: sex that broke the law
7: Kilpatrick: sex that led to a subversion of your public office (and it's not the first thing)

angela said...

i'd give spitzer higher than a 5, partly b/c he made his rep. being "tough on crime" and making indignant remarks about the people he was busting (which also included...drumroll...prostitution rings!)

the hypocrisy, plus the federal crime, plus the element of surprise = an 8, at least.

kwame...i think everyone knew he was a little slick. and his excesses, his thuggish mentality (he seems to think of himself as al capone, even down to the suits and hats!) and his abuse of power have been well documented for a long long time. he should be done, but he has a little wiggle room. spitzer has none.

Tim said...

See, I think exactly the opposite. Hypocrisy is bad, but not as bad as a pattern of bad behavior. The "everyone knew Kwame was slick" just doesn't cut it with me.

If (and this is a big if) I had to choose between a good public servant who made one big mistake and a terrible public servant who finally broke the camel's back, I would rather have the first one stay and the second one go.

angela said...

that's just it--i think they BOTH should go. a felony charge (which i assume to be upcoming) = reason to be fired. kwame fought and settled a lawsuit--what makes him worthy of getting the boot is the obvious lying, complete with evidence.

the only difference between them is that nothing shocked or surprised me about kwame's behavior. i wouldn't have voted for him after his first term. spitzer made such a big deal out of being the anti-kwame that, well, i figure he can't withstand one large slip-up, esp. compounded with his past ones.

E said...

i love how Spitzer has downplayed the whole, um, ILLEGAL aspect of the whole thing...not once has he come close to calling what he did what it is - breaking the damn law! he's clearly scared shitless of the repercussions, but i would think that it would be better for him to fess up to the fact that he committed a crime...i'll be interested to see how this plays out.