6.30.2006

third new poem

this is actually a slight revision, with new title, of an earlier post.

i'm happy with it in this form, and the title is a good fit, i think.
the title actually comes from diane's long poem greed
, part one.

so here it is.

oh, one more thing--as with the last two poems i posted, i don't expect that the indents, etc. will come out correctly. which will bother me more than anyone else, i'm sure.

AND NOW THE SUN IS IN ME

for Jeremy, father of light, heart full of branches

The truth is I loved the running:

each step
a small shadow broken by your glow,
each step taken slower than the last.

So that even now, months later,
you are breaking across me as the aurora borealis
and saying

I don’t know why I let myself go down this road

and I am thinking of Bob Dylan
singing Baby Let Me Follow You Down, of Creeley
saying O, Love, where are you leading me now;

I am not yet brave enough to ask
what it is you are chasing

when you chase after me.

I love these moments, you say, but moments like these don’t last forever.

It’s enough to make me stop, to turn and face you

to tell you
we’ll be petrified in this moment;
that now we’re immortal,
this tiny light-storm pulsing where your
hand now rests.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

once more, beautiful. i want to be a fraction as talented.