3.15.2006

beware the ides of march

from "the writer's almanac":

Today is the "Ides of March." In the Roman Calendar, each month had three division days: kalends, nones and ides. For months that had thirty-one days, the ides occurred on the fifteenth of the month.

Julius Caesar was assassinated on the ides of March in 44 B.C. A group of Roman senators led by Cassius and Brutus thought Caesar was becoming arrogant and tyrannical, and they devised a plot to assassinate him at a senate meeting on March 15. Many of the conspirators were close friends of Caesar, including Brutus. At the meeting, the group of senators circled around Caesar and pretended to submit a petition. Suddenly, one of them grabbed Caesar's robe and yanked it off his neck, which was the signal to begin the attack. All of the conspirators were hiding daggers, and they each stabbed him as he staggered across the floor.

what an uplifting event to have associated with my birthday! that, and i also share a birthday with fabio. ha!

happy birthday to me....

2 comments:

TKP said...

Happy Birthday indeed, AVG!

Send me your address so I can send you a belated b-day card (boy I'm stealth). Way to quit smoking, too. I think I remember that poem, actually.

Anonymous said...

happy birthday angela!!! hope 26 is even better than 25! take care, love kristin