3.14.2006

the day is almost here






in honor of my 26th birthday, i have decided to quit smoking.

i no longer have the mythical/aesthetic attachment to smoking i felt a few years ago, and of course, a few years ago, i was not nearly the person i am now.

so, today is the last day. i'm going out the way i went in, smoking parliament lights; and i'm relieved to feel comfortable making this choice.

to commemorate the occasion, my old poem about the romantic attachment to smoking:





WHY YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE ASKED ME TO QUIT SMOKING

Part One

Because in every picture of Mark Rothko, he is
smoking--he is smoking with a daughter
on his knee, he is smoking looking nine feet high
at a mural panel, he is smoking over the studio sink
in the moments before he dies.
You know of him
only what you have seen in my home--the stack
of books which reaches my knees in the corner
near the bed, my knee where for the last six weeks blood
has been settling into a bruise.
I tell you I know
he painted something its color once; I even show
you: Untitled, 1960.

Part Two

Because when I was a child, spiraling around the backyard
singing that song of the Red Death my father taught me, ashes,
ashes, we all fall down
, he smoked on the back porch steps,
waving his fingers through the curls of Basic Ultra Light
smoke, scolding me to keep my hands out of the flat amber
ash tray; and even now, I can’t help but dip my fingers into
it, tracing small rectangles on the insides of my wrists, forearms,
thinking of the last series of Rothkos--the dark mouth exhaling
into a breath of gray.

Part Three

Because it was my perfect New York moment--standing
outside of the old studio at 222 Bowery Street, smoking
a scarlet papered cigarette from the golden box of Fantasia
Naturals, wrists and fingers curling around the iron gates
at the entrance.
I want to call you and tell you that the
gates must be ancient, but have never rusted--they’ve ashed.

Part Four

Because I didn’t remember Abuelito smoking Camel filters
until my father showed me the picture.
In it, I am
a child, I am so small that I am a stub of a child looking up
at him, his elbow resting on the kitchen sink, wrist bent
above the ashtray.
I must have loved the red of its burn.
And even now, I look up, the picture hanging
at the ceiling, my father saying, “He used to be a chimney”,
thinking that if I exhale now, he will scatter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're so great.

Happy birthday, I'm sorry you beat me to saying it.

I've never quite understood the release of smoking, but I can see the allure of it. That's why I'm glad I never started.

Good for you, and thanks for posting this poem.

Anonymous said...

beautiful. good luck my dear! i wish you a pilar of strenght, one that doesnt billow or drift into ash and smoke.